Situated in a quiet bay/headland and on an offshore island two kilometres southeast of Okains Bay is the Pā Bay — Pā Island settlement area. This combined site contains two pā, two villages and a garden and is thought to have been occupied over a long period with the main occupation period being during the 1820s. The raiding expeditions of Te Rauparaha in 1830 marked the end of occupation of this extensive complex.
Te Kopuru — Pā Bay
Like many other headland pā on Banks Peninsula, Te Kopuru had steep cliffs on three sides and a
ditch-wall system on the mainland approach. A stream running through the pā assured the inhabitants of a water supply when the pā was used for defence purposes.
The village and pā accommodation suggests a local population of 250 to 350 people. Within the defended…